Monday, February 7, 2011

Growing pains of growing up

I think it's terrible that you may or may not have killed an innocent chipmunk with the Green Machine, but let's err on the side of optimism and say you missed the poor fellow. I remember well the autumn day I ran over an unfortunate chipmunk as he attempted to race my car across the road; I, sadly, won that day, and I cried on my way to work. A dark day, indeed.

I have been in blackout mode since taking up residence at the cabin -- no Internet, no cell phone reception, and, even though we do get great cable, usually we (i.e., the CPT) watch CNN or the History Channel. Did you know that the Egyptians moved entire cities when the Nile branches changed? Apparently the Nile has many "branches" that have come to fruition and also dried up. And in the past when they would dry up, the Egyptians would just move everything to a new branch. Ridiculous. Anyway, back to the point, I haven't been keeping up with Teen Mom or Jersey Shore. I expect full reports at our next Mazatlan date!

Life lately has been a whirlwind. The CPT came home from Afghanistan, we celebrated Christmas in the Deep South, came back to Tennessee to celebrate New Year's, moved most of our stuff out of the apartment into a storage unit an hour away (keeping only what was absolutely, have-to-have needed), got everything squared away at the 101st, hauled mattresses in the truck bed (after realizing they didn't fit in Mom's suburban ... after I promised the CPT they would ... oops) in the rain/ice, slipped on ice while unloading the hutch, internally uttered swear words, and then slung our bags filled with some clothes and our few keep-close-to-the-heart possessions on our shoulders to trek to the cabin my grandparents are so generously letting us live in until a house opens up at our next post.


That all being said, it is probably easily understood how you and I (and also the CPT, once home from the deployment!) could be roomies and never see each other -- especially with you working and in law school! The past couple of months don't really count as having spent "quality time" together, and I have greatly missed having my best girl friend to giggle with over silly girl things! I love that no matter how old we are (only in our early twenties, I know, but still), we are still girly girls who giggle!



It's weird to think of ourselves as being the grown-ups. I got "ma'am-ed" the other day by a teenager -- odd, for sure. I always wanted to be older than I was. Of course, this was before I was as old as I am now, because being a grown-up is sometimes no fun. You work and go to school all the time, I am moving away from my family (which includes you), I failed my car emissions test, etc. But there are times I remember why I wanted to be "big" in the first place. I got to have a place of my own with my best friend in the whole world (which has stood the test of time, London, a wedding, a staph infection, etc.), and how many 4th graders truly know who their bff is?! I am married to the CPT, a greater man/cuter hunk/funnier guy than I could have ever imagined. I am in the process of beginning my life as an Army wife, which is kinda cool. You have a good job that taps you into the profession you are pursuing (and you get Mountain Dews from nice homeless gentlemen on the street). You are going to a really great law school in a fun city. You've singlehandedly thwarted a robber, you inspired/fanned the flames of my love for art, and you understand the importance of tea time.

Being a grown-up definitely has its ups and downs, but I like to think, for the most part, you and I are blessed enough to have mostly "ups." Let's think about it: One time we had four dollars in change for the vending machines (and "we feasted like kings!!"). One time we made it (without passing out) to the top of the hill in Scotland with all of our luggage. One time we walked through the slums of London with all of our luggage, sidestepped the men on the street, and finally reached our home of our American friend. One time the correct British cab (with the cabbie calling out our names) pulled up right behind the dark, unmarked van we were about to get in at 4:30 a.m. to get to the airport (Terminal 1,2, and 3?) to come home. One time our apartment flooded ... wait, two times. Wait, three times. And wait, that's a downer -- hmm, moving on ...



The CPT is ushering me off the computer so we can do our errands, so I must end this nostalgic post for now.



Warmest Regards,

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment